Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Thirty Little Piggies Went to the Market

Sneakers, flip-flops and sandals. They were the source of significant controversy at our house while the children were growing up.  My children seemed to believe that shoes were hideous things that they should be rid of, as soon as possible. Riding to go to the store, Dr's office or school?  Got to get shoes on everyone's feet.  As soon as I got one child's feet covered, and started on the next, the first child would kick off their shoes. Once I got them in the car, they would repeat the process.   It didn't really matter if it was November or June. It didn't matter if it was a 5 minute trip or an hour. We would arrive at our destination and I would find thirty little piggies running wild in the back of my minivan. The children were buckled but the feet were free and bare.

To cope with this swine infestation.  I instituted a rule.  (Doing the good dad thing, structuring instead of criticizing) "No taking off of shoes in the car".   My adult daughter harasses me about this now on a regular basis. It was an essential rule.  These days, parents have other feet issues.  The advent of the velcro sneaker has been a valuable asset to some parents.  Others have run into the struggle later trying to get their children to learn to tie their shoes.  Some kids, it turns out, can get stubborn about issues related to their feet. "Can you imagine that?" 

While camping with my sister and her kids recently, I confess I listened to some of their conversations as they moved their children (rather efficiently) from activity to activity.  One phrase, in particular, caught my attention.  "In this family, we tie not tuck."  First of all, well done Doug, doing the structuring not criticizing thing. For those of you who don't know, this is like the velcro issue. It has become popular, among some kids, to keep their new fangled $120 Nike's loose on their feet, so they don't get hot.  (Who would have thunk?) So instead of tightly tying their shoes they simple tuck the loose ends in the sneaker with their feet. Very clever.  But not very secure for hiking.  Would you want to be bending over on a hot day carrying one child and tying...again, the shoe of another.  Not me.  Good rule that one; "Tying not Tucking."

If you run into any children running about named Rainbow Face, What-if or Squeaky, I bet they will have their shoes tied.  Of course, it is about the feet and kids get really stubborn about feet, so maybe not.   Parenting is hard work and sometimes setting the structure still requires a lot of repetition and follow through.Which brings us to our momentous conclusion.  If you have thirty or so stubborn little piggies, they might just have to stay home. 


No comments:

Post a Comment